How to use organizations in GroupCamp
GroupCamp's organizations allows you to map your company's structure in the form of an organizational chart. Organizations are very helpful if you wish to filter or find out which unit/department a colleague works at.
Each organizational unit can contain:
- One, none or several sub-organizations
- One, none or several colleagues.
A colleague belongs to one organization. By default all colleagues are located under the main organization (in the example below, all colleagues belong to the organization called Nano Communication).
In this article:
- Set up the Organizations feature.
- Use the Organizations application
- Use organizations to search a colleague
- Use organizations in the Timesheet application
Note: Check that the Organizations feature is available in your current GroupCamp plan by clicking on the Plans & Quotas icon located in the Admin panel.
Click on the Organizations icon located in the Admin panel.
In the icon, click on Enable this feature
You can disable the Organizations feature at any time. Disabling the feature will have the following consequences:
- Organizations will no longer be visible and will no longer be used in your account
- Organizations already created will not be deleted
- You can reactivate the Organizations feature at any time
Access to the application
Decide which colleagues can see the Organizations application in their Directory menu.
Access organizations in applications
Decide which user types are authorized to see the organizations
- The organization name is displayed next to every colleague's name. For example: First & Last Name (Marketing). Your colleagues are sorted by organization (there are specific filters available in the Users application located in the Directory menu).
- The colleague selectors allow you to select organizations (This is particularly helpful when adding members to a group or adding time spent for colleagues belonging to a specific organization, etc.).
Create - Update - Delete
The associated privilege lets you decide who can update your internal organization.
Assign an organization to colleagues
This feature lets you 1) Assign a specific organization to a colleague when adding him/her to your GroupCamp account 2) Update the organization name for an existing colleague. We recommend giving this privilege to the HR department and/or managers (Use the privilege "A team" and assign a specific management team with this privilege).
Import - Export - Organisations - Colleagues
This feature allows authorized users to update your entire organization in an Excel file. This privilege should be granted to a limited number of colleagues.
You can select the separator displayed between organizations. For example: My organization > R&D > NYC)
Important: Develop your organization's chart towards the bottom of your screen
There is a limited number of hierarchical levels. You need to develop your organization chart towards the bottom of your screen.
Do you need more sub-levels for your organization chart? Please contact the GroupCamp support team.
Your first organization is your main organization. This is the name of the Organization that you provided when setting up the GroupCamp account. For more information on how to change the name of the main organization please read the following FAQ: How can I change the name or the URL of my account
Note: All existing colleagues are present in the main organization.
To add a sub-organization, hover over the existing organization then click on the '+' button.
Enter the name of the sub-organization. Note that the name is limited to 50 characters.
Possible actions on sub-organizations
- To create a new sub-organization: Click on the '+' button
- To change the name of the organization: Click on the edit button
- To delete the organization: Click on the Trash button
Note: You cannot delete an organization that contains a sub-organization or a colleague.
- To move an organization and its sub-organizations under another organization: Click on the folder button entitled Move the organization
Note: The dropdown menu indicates in gray all the organizations for which you have reached the maximum number of hierarchical levels. The selected organization cannot be moved to grayed selections.
Example: If the organization that you wish to move contains 4 hierarchical levels, and you wish to move it under another organization also containing 4 levels, then there would be a total of 8 levels or sub-organizations.
In the Users application located in the Directory menu, click on the colleague's name you wish to update. Doing so will open the colleague's information panel.
Use the More button, then click on the Change the organization option.
Select the new organization, then hit OK.
Note: If your GroupCamp account is linked with your Google Apps account. In the Google Apps icon of the Admin panel, if you have checked Use Google Apps organizations you cannot modified organizations of synced users in Groupcamp. This must be done in the Google Apps Admin console, when done, users must be synced in GroupCamp to get their Google Apps organizations.
With the Import features, you can delete or export organizations and colleagues.
The available commands allow you to do the following:
- Set up your organizational chart using the interface or by importing organizations
- Manage a major re-organization of your colleagues in GroupCamp
- Update all your colleagues in GroupCamp at once
Note: The Delete - Organizations command will delete all organizations present in the account. All colleagues will be located in the main organization.
For more information on how to import and export using Excel, please read this article: How to import colleagues and organizations using Excel
With the Manage members window in a group, you can quickly invite colleagues to join that group.
Use the Quick add button
Add colleagues using the serach field
You can use organizations when generating custom reports in the Timesheet application located in the Tracking menu.
When using the Users filter, you can select an organization with or without its sub-organizations to see the time spent by all members of the organization.